How to Ride
- Get There Early: Plan to be at your bus stop five minutes before the scheduled departure time. Buses deal with the same road conditions as everyone else. Sometimes they get lucky and hit every green light, and sometimes they get stuck in traffic. Getting to your stop early ensures you won’t get left behind no matter what happens. For your convenience, all of our bus stops are clearly marked.
- Step Back: Stand back from the curb when the bus approaches. Keep children close to your side and away from the street. RTS buses get as close to the curb as possible to make it easy to get on board. So make sure you give the bus plenty of room!
- Take Your Time: Wait for the bus to come to a complete stop, the doors to open, and all customers have exited before you try to board. And make sure it’s the right bus before you board – just check the sign above the windshield.
- Have Your Fare Ready: To avoid delays, please have your fare ready.
- Get Comfy: Take your seat. Hang on and Enjoy the ride! (The bus may pull away before you are fully seated...make sure you keep your balance by holding the seat or the bar nearest to you).
Additional Important Info
- If you need help boarding, just ask the Bus Operator! Also, all buses can be lowered to make it easier for you to get on or off.
- For safety reasons, our Bus Operators are not allowed to re-open the doors or return to the curb once they depart. For your safety never chase after or pound on the bus after it pulls away from the curb. Don’t worry, another bus will be along shortly!
- If using a mobility device, please review your mobility device owner's manual for safety warnings – including its use on a transit vehicle.
Getting Off the Bus
- Time to Stop: When you get near your stop, just pull the cord above the window or press the yellow strip along the window.
- Grab Your Stuff: Make sure you have all your belongings as the bus gets close to your destination.
- Why We Have Seats: It can be hard to keep your balance when the bus stops suddenly. To avoid falling into other riders, always wait for the bus to come to a complete stop before you stand up. If you are already standing please use the available hand holds – we don’t want you to get hurt!
- Avoid Traffic Jams: Exit through the rear doors whenever you can so that new passengers can easily get on board through the front doors.Time to Stop: When you get near your stop, just pull the cord above the window or press the yellow strip along the window.
Additional Important Info
- NEVER cross the street in front of the bus.
- Wait for your bus to pull away before crossing the street.
- Remember to be careful when crossing the street: other vehicles do not stop for RTS buses like they do for school buses.
- Plan to be at your bus stop at least five minutes in advance of the departure time.
Simple Acts of Kindness
- Speak quietly and be mindful of your language.
- Use headphones to enjoy your music.
- No smoking allowed in RTS vehicles or on RTS Transit Center Property.
- Food and beverage containers brought on board must have sealed lids and be taken with you when you exit the vehicle.
- Pets in animal carriers are welcome on board. Service animals are exempt from this rule.
Be Aware of Wireless Device Theft
Theft of smart phones and electronic devices are a problem across the nation and in our community. Protect your property. If your phone or other device is stolen, report it immediately to the Rochester Police Department by calling 911.
Follow these Safety Tips when using your cell phone or mobile device when using RTS:
- Don't play devices too loudly or lose track of your surroundings.
- Use caution when checking Where’s My Bus? or using your phone at a bus stop.
- Don't use your device near vehicle doors or while getting on or off the bus.
- Don't lend your device to strangers. You might not get it back.
- If you can, password-protect your phone.
- If you have lost or left an item on an RTS bus, please call our Lost & Found Department at 585-288-1700. Items found on the bus can be claimed at RGRTA’s Administration Building, 1372 East Main Street, Rochester, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. For information, contact RTS’ Customer Service Department at 585-288-1700 or visit myRTS.com/Contact-us.
For other tips, visit The Wireless Association’s website.
If you have questions about these rules, call 585-288-1700
If you need these rules in a different language, call 585-288-1700
Para atención en español, por favor llamar al 585-288-1700